Search This Blog

Sunday, January 17, 2010

This week i've mostly been drinking.......


....I wish, frustratingly after 2 weeks now in the land that created the fair grape I have only had it a handful of times (well apart from Chablis but you know what I mean.)
Things need to change I feel, yet looking back at my notes, it seems that I have been suitably impressed with the other vinous treats on offer.
More white this week than red. I am assuming that 2 degrees is the cut-off temperature that Ma will dare to venture out to the cellar, slippers and all may I add. Or perhaps the two "runs" we have been on (inverted commas in deliberate sarcasm) have raised her serotonin levels to such monstrous levels that the "it's lunchtime somewhere" phrase is being used a little two often. Imagine if Ma actually manages to get round the block? I have real fears for my liver (no sarcasm this time).......
First of the week was tasted whilst being engulfed in the baked fumes of trout, bacon and courgette. Brilliant with the wine but not so good for the nose. Vin de fossils Sauvignon Gris 2008 (bought at source) was the taste du jour. Having tasted some of their sweet Auxerois (yes, it does exist!)on a previous visit I was hardly filled with expectant joy. Yet I was to be proved wrong.
"light clean grassy nose, tart apple and a bit more citrus peel. A hell of a lot more concentrated on the palate than I was expecting with pure lemon notes that were instantly and continuously refreshing throughout. A green pepper edge and slight tannin from the pithy finish."
It was hard not to compare with a Sauvignon Blanc and although it seemed similar in its refreshing appeal there was not a hint of pea or New Zealand flashy/show-off slickness which is always good in my book. In a word, classy, yet not quite enough to make me revisit the Auxerois!
Later in the week a eye raising looking bottle of Chablis arrived on the table, unsuprisingly it was bought in everyones favourite wine merchant..... Aldi. Eugene Carrion 2008, with a dubious yet predictable 5 euro price tag and bright green label. Rude not to, so ho hum here we go....
"Light lemon colour and classic Chablis brilliance in the glass. Apple skin, honeysuckle, meadow flowers (ma said daffodil...pah) and an edge of icing sugar. Not classic Chablis but interesting enough. On the palate taught and refreshing, sherbet, watermelon. I mentioned a gushing waterfall effect in mouth. ( Pa agreed and said the wine indeed was very wet, sarcastic bas***d.) But I was meaning that it had a lovely mouth feel and yet was still refreshing. Nice mineral finish."
I was waiting for the catch that never came. Will trust and try the producer again, particularly at the price.
Last of the whites of the week was an affair without Pa. He appeared ill. Evidence suggests he just had wind so Ma and I decided to make tapas for two. My three offerings of falafel, warmed chorizo and bruschetta seemed simple enough whilst Ma's offering of avacado and cornichon guacomole, wholewheat mustard pancakes and courgette, lettuce and lemon salad were going to prove a tough wine combination.....bring forward Ormarine Picpoul de Pinet 2008. A strange 4 euro Intermarche supermarket purchase in an odd Germanic green flute bottle at 12.5% and yet from the coast of the Southern Languedoc? What else to go with that veritable feast eh?
" Immediate Sauv. Blanc nose that softened and lightened to soft tropical fruits with a notable drop of orange, quince and pear. The palate was indeed as fruity as the nose suggested but slightly more dense with a touch marmalade and blood orange on the finish. Ma mentioned a nice honey texture"
On reflection if I was told it was a light Viognier, Albarino or Flanghina I would not have been surprised. It certainly gets a thumbs up but unsure if it is typical of the grape. More investigation needed!
Tis all, busy wine week ahead with trip to Vire-Clesse, bottling of a Viognier in the Cote Roannaise and a booze up in Chassagne Montrachet for the fete de St Vincent......
Bon aperitif

No comments:

Post a Comment