Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

In The Winery Day 2










Please forgive me but as I write Pa and Ma have just launched through the door with a brand new "clic clac" fold-down sofa bed. To be accurate Pa and I carried the sofa in whilst Ma placed tables and chairs in our way in an attempt to help. After our DFS assault course Pa started reading the instructions aloud in a broad Peter Kay-esque Lancashire accent when he stumbled upon a warning. Now parents hate warnings, I remember the day of our first computer back in the 90's when the hour glass loading icon appeared on the screen. Pa froze, unsure whether it was a ticking bomb or the start of cataracts. Nevertheless he always acts calmly and goes straight for the instructions. Sensible guy my dad. The Joe 90 glasses have gone on and the following read out: "warning, sofa will discolour if in contact with, bleach, bright sunlight, moonlight....." "Hang on a minute" Pa said, "What sofa has ever been discoloured by moonlight??" Classic. I know we are further to the equator here but the moon can't be that strong?

Pa reminded me of another bad translation at a campsite in Aze near Lugny where the English translation states that :"In the event of a fire " ...Do not make a sound. Do not tell anybody and leave the campsite slowly..." French eh, gotta love them.

Day 2 - 7.02 am - Burgundy, does this room ever heat up?

So day 2, no drama this morning, or across the whole day to be fair and with the chilly day yesterday, 3 t-shirts, 2 pairs of socks and pyjama bottoms on under the work trousers. I will not be beaten by old Jaques Froste today! Never, ah ha, pah, too much coffee.

9.16 - Cote de Roannaise - Beautiful crisp morning.

Pa delivered me to the tradesman's entrance, I feel like a real worker today. Off I scrabble down the road to the hub of activity outside of the cellars. I see nobody I recognise and proffer the obligated handshake to the five bottling workers. Outside the cellar is another Willy Wonka style van, or maybe this was more the size of a large trailer. Inside on a conveyor belt were hundreds of bottles being filled up by a delicious looking pink liquid. Shimmering in the sunlight on a brisk morning, what could be better.

Five guys, an overpowering odour of cigarette smoke, old spice and workiness. Glad of my decision to forego the cashmere beany for a slightly more sensible stripy gap hat, still I could not compete with the lazy cigarette that sat flatly in the corner of their mouths ..."There must be a particular technique involved. Must learn it if I am to go native. Must pretend to smoke bad roll ups without ever inhaling. Must get some old spice...No stop. Must, I fear, get a grip"

I was aware that the five gentlemen were eying me up and down. As I soon realised, with nobody to introduce me, that I had to introduce myself and offer a hand. I was told bluntly that no hand was needed. OK I thought, I shall just watch.

After 10 minutes I got the idea. Bottles in, bottles filled, bottle level checked by eye, bottles checked again (mechanically), bottles corked and then bottles piled up. Each monsieur had his own task, it was basically a mobile factory, and everyone had their station. I took my camera out and took a few snaps. One death stare was enough and the camera went away. Unsure whether the chaps did not want to be caught without their rouge on or if the paparazzi laws in France had been upped to such a level since the death of Lady Di that even a quick snapshot was frowned upon.

To my pleasure Simon quickly appeared and positioned me at the end of the bottling line where I was to relieve an older monsieur whilst he had a break. He pretended to be happy at this but I was sure he was reeling inside for having his place taken. In fact after 20 minutes he nestled me out of the way mooting that his boss insisted on it.

I soon realised why the guys were so keen to work. The onset of hypothermia was imminent and moving was the only way to stop it. Later I was told that 2 pairs of socks make your feet colder than one pair?? Logic?? Well to be fair my feet were now so numb that I felt like I had two club feet or at least a mild case of elephantitis. Maybe I will try sandals next time!

1.15pm - Cote Roannaise - Warmer, brilliant....

All finished, the guys left to play boules, smoke and have some hearty scran. Yet for me it was rose, salad, slow roast meat and tarte tatin. Sounds much better to me. I spent the remainder of the afternoon with Fabrice and Simon, moving barriques and cleaning out the lees from the Viognier barrels. A beautiful combination of apricot, spring flowers and yeast. Strange but a truly great aroma. Whilst moving the barriques Fabrice said it was "le travail de Titan". A bit of an exaggeration but ho hum, they were pretty weighty.

4.15pm - Thoughts On route to Burgundy - Car temperature, bliss

A wonderful day, really wonderful. Can see what appeals to this life, beautiful scenery, humorous events, relaxed. All that when you are bottling somebody else's wine. Imagine if it was my own, someday maybe, as long as I can get the two sock rule right next time. Cannot wait to try the wines after they have settled down. Inventive, imaginative but with serious Domaine character, just my sort of wine. Think I could learn a lot from Simon.... I wonder if they sell roll ups in the village boulangerie??


Tis All
Bon Aperitif

No comments:

Post a Comment