Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Too close for comfort and a good glass of Riesling



Our calm evenings of "dinner presque parfait" have been interrupted by a rather destructive couple of days; we have finally knocked down the wall between the kitchen and living room. Instead of two vile rooms with nowhere to sit, we now have created one large piece of vileness that we can fester in to our hearts content. Mother's, ahem, "newly developed" OCD will unfortunately have to take a backseat for a few weeks whilst the plumber and electrician do their thing. Somehow I think she will cope.

Do not get me wrong, I am not a hermit, and will champion the merits of open-plan living, but a situation where I can peel carrots for supper and watch and hear Father have a pee is surely a step too far. Is this really what Mr. IKEA had in mind?

When I decided to spend a bit more time at the family pile, I had imagined crumpets on the front lawn and rooms that even a lurcher could break stride in. What I did not imagine was a semi-commune-like living arrangement where my only non-parental friend would be the yet unidentified upstairs rodent/bat/serial killer that has the knack of dropping grit on my face in the middle of the night. I suppose beggars can't be choosers eh? I am as yet, still unsure whether to put poison out or a note to bring a bottle. Updates to follow.

An argument of Biblical proportions ensued last night between Mother and me over washing up. Yet with the new modern living arrangement there were no doors to slam and no furniture to keep us apart! We had to both sit, fuming with rage, cuddled on the sofa like a double-twisted helix. On another side note, Mr and Mrs Smith, the film staring Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt, no, just no.

Arguments, Brad Pitt and peeing aside, the wines of the past few days have been a treat to say the least and the only thing that has keep me going........

Fitou, Prieur de Pancrace, 2007, OV Carrignan, Syrah and Grenache :- Smoked ham, cardomon, leather and furniture polish on the nose. The palate had sweet black fruit, a medium body and lowish tannins that just about supported the flavours, the flavoured opened up in the glass to show a hint of coffee and chocolate, but only a hint mind. Not bad at all and an interesting introduction to the area in the South of France.

Cotes-du-Rhone, Cuilleron-Villard-Gaillard-Villa, 2009, 60% Viognier, 20% Grenache blanc, 20% Marsanne :- It jumped straight out on the nose but the aromatics blew off quite quickly. Soapy in an attractive way, was it Magnolia soaps our Gran’s used to have? Whatever it was, just imagine Granny soap. The palate was full of grapefruit, pith and camembert rind. Overall it was strong and bitter with a full scent, not a bad wine but I would say more interesting than tasty.

Petit Chablis, Union des viticulteurs de Chablis, 2008 :- On the nose it showed hay, soft orchard fruit, not overly aromatic but there was a distinct sense of spring. It was dry and fresh with juicy Sicilian lemons and tangerines gushing on the palate. I was strange to me as it smelled like a Loire Sauvignon but tasted like a Chablis, I therefore guessed it was a St Bris( a Sauvignon Blanc grown in the Chablis district) so it was no surprise when it turned out to be atypical Chablis. Petit Chablis is most definitely upping its game!

Cahors, Terre de Gaulle, 2005, mis par Chais Beaucairois:- Pa could smell it upon pouring, heady cassis, violet, earth and a touch of alcohol. Lighter than expected on the palate, blackcurrant was the main flavour at first, supported by softened tannins. The wine opened up to racy fruity flavours of blueberry, raspberry. A decent crunchy spicy finish left you wanting more. I picked this wine up on my only trip to Cahors earlier in the year, well, I say trip, I did a strange road trip in a white van with an antique dealer and we stopped at the Cahors service station, worth a visit, I picked this up from the wine shop in the garage. Well done the French!

Alsace, Riesling, 2009, Arthur Metz (see previous blog fro Muscat review and Decanter Regional Medal Winner for his Gewürztraminer) :- I have never had a wine that had the scent and tasted of lemon curd and warm lemon meringue pie. I simply cannot go any further, head to toe. Delicious. I am becoming a big fan of his.

Until next time

No comments:

Post a Comment